Is your release of information form close to expiring? Have you considered completing a release of information but have questions? Many times, patients believe because they have gone through the registration process, that allows them to obtain their own medical records or the records of an another individual. Here are some matters to consider.
• Release of information forms are kept on file and can be good for one year from the date of patient signature.
• Having a release of information form on file gives patients control over who can be granted permission to access their health information (parents, children, spouses, friends, etc.) and conduct business on their behalf when they are not able to.
• When a patient turns 18 years old, by law, he or she is considered an adult. Therefore, medical information that was previously provided to the patient’s parents or guardian can only continue to be provided with the patient’s permission through a signed release of information form.
• The patient has the right to update information on the release, authorize person(s) to receive medical records or conduct business on their behalf, or revoke an authorization at any time.
• Release of information forms are completely voluntary.
A release of information form can be acquired through the Otto Kaiser Memorial Hospital Medical Records Department and is one way to properly obtain medical records for yourself or on another individual. If you have any questions, please call our Medical Records Department at (830) 583-3401 and we will be happy to assist you.
For questions regarding your hospital in-patient or outpatient medical record, please contact our Health Information Management department.
Mon-Fri 8-5 pm
Gwen Mendoza, Director
830-583-3401 Ext. 2400